Sunday, August 28, 2016

Using say, tell, talk, speak

1. SAY
When using "say", there's only one preposition that goes with it: "to".
He said with me that he would be late.
The sentence above should be replaced by => He said to me that he would be late.

And if you want to speak like a native, remember that when using "say". We usually don't mention the listener. So even better is, He said that he would be late. without saying "to me"


2. TELL
He told with me that he would be late
He told me that he would be late

With this word, we mention the listener and don't add any preposition.
So two sentence above should be replaced by => He told me that he would be late.


3. TALK
He talked with me that he would be late.
We use "talk" to describe two people talking about a general subject, but never to report what specifically was said.
A few examples:
We talked about football
He doesn't talk much
My students talk too much
Talk can use with both the prepositions "to" and "with" in most situations.



4. SPEAK
We can use "speak" in the same way as "talk", but in formal situations.
For example: Tan Dung spoke with Vlardimir Putin about Fast & Furious 7
And when talking about language, we always use "speak" and no other word.
For example: He was speaking Vietnamese.

####Try your best! Gradually you''ll feel that using these words is as easy as drinking water####

No comments:

Post a Comment